Flock and Herd logo


View original article here

Riverine Grazier, Tuesday 9 July 1918, page 4




At the last meeting of the Wentworth Municipal Council a resolution was carried that, the present position of affairs in that municipality should be placed before the Department of Local Government, together with the whole of the facts leading up to the resignation of the town clerk, and that the deadlock arising as the result of same was, in the opinion of the Council sufficient to warrant the Council making application that a receiver be placed in charge of the municipality.

On night last week an attempt was made to flood the cellar of the Shamrock Hotel, at Balranald. A hose was taken from the Commercial Hotel, attached to the water pipe in front of the hotel and placed through the outside door leading to the cellar. When the discovery was made by hotel people there was over two feet of water in the cellar, but luckily any goods which might have been seriously damaged were placed out of reach of the water.

Mrs. Margaret Milligan, the widow of a once well-known Ballarat mining investor, died on the Ballarat railway station on Friday. She was awaiting the arrival of a niece, who did not come by the train. After expressing her disappointment she fell on the platform, and was dead when picked up.

The day of the bushranger is not over yet apparently. F. Klemmpke, mailman, running between Pleasant Hills and Lockhart, was bailed up on Friday morning when three miles from Pleasant Hills by a man who called upon him to halt and give up the mail bags. The mailman stirred up his horse instead, and the highwayman followed him and fired four shots at the mailman, one of which went through his hat. His succeeded in making good his escape, and arrived safely at Lockhart.

Following an appeal for recruits by Sergeant-Major Pearson at Werribee, Victoria, a girl in the audience turned to her sweetheart, and urged him to go on the platform, and offer himself. When he seemed to hesitate, the girl pulled off her engagement ring and gave it to him, saying "Unless you enlist I will have nothing more to do with you." The young man took the ring, rose, and left the hall. On the following evening, however, one of the seven volunteers who stepped on to the platform was the girl's 'sweetheart. Later he was examined and found medically unfit. Possibly knowledge that he was not physically able to stand the strain of service had made him hesitate in the first instance. Presumably the course of true love now runs smoothly again.

At a level crossing near Taree on Tuesday a passenger train dashed into a sulky in which were Mr. W. Carey and Mrs. F. Potts. The horse was bumped clear of the sulky, and escaped injury while the sulky was caught by the buffers of the engine and dragged along the track for a considerable distance. Carey and Mrs Potts were carried for at least 150 yards, when both fell out of the sulky and miraculously escaped serious injury.

Deniliquin last month registered 220 points of rain, bringing the half-year's total to 15.80 inches, or equivalent to an average year's fall.

The Narandera Show people and Temora have selected the same date for their annual shows. The Temora people are aggrieved at the action of Narandera, as they claim they have adhered to the same date for twenty years.

For Bronchial Coughs take Woods' Great Peppermint Cure, 1/6. and 2/9.

Last week a number of prosecutions took place for the non-destruction of rabbits at the Seymour (Vic.) Police Court. One defendant tried to excuse himself by pleading that "the rabbits were a plague sent by the will of God, and could not be got rid of till God willed it." Mr Knight P.M., retorted that "we are here by the will of God, and must do our duty," and he imposed a fine of £5 and costs.

The Trades Hall Council at Melbourne on Friday night decided to enter its emphatic protest against the exorbitant prices allotted to be charged for meat by the Federal Government, and ordered that a deputation wait upon the Acting Prime Minister to voice the Council's protest.

John Henry Renouf, a telegraph linesman was riding a bicycle from Gong Gong to his home at Ballarat East on Friday, when the fork of his machine snapped. He said he was not seriously hurt, and proceeded home in a cab. Shortly afterwards he became unconscious, and died next morning from laceration of the brain.

A Shepparton clergyman if unusually sedate disposition was greatly shocked a few mornings ago when a little boy—a jumble fair enthusiast— called at his residence with the request, "Please sir, will you save all your empty beer bottles for me?" He was somewhat worse than the boy, who, after the Bishop of the diocese had examined the Sunday school class, asked, "Have any of you children got a question to put to me?" replied, "Please, sir, have you got any cigarette cards?"

For Children's hacking cough at night Woods' Great Peppermint Cure, 1/6 and 2/9.

We (Deniliquin "Independent") regret to announce the death of another old resident of the district in the person of Mr. William Nisbet, which took place at his residence, Tholobin, on the Conargo road, early on Wednesday morning. The deceased gentleman, who had attained the ripe old age of 81 years, was in every sense of the word a pioneer of the district. It is over 43 years since he first came to Deniliquin, and selected the land which is now known as Tholobin, and recognised as one of the best agricultural and grazing properties in the district. Mr. Nisbet had resided on his original holding during this lengthy period, and reared a family of several sons and daughters, to whom we extend our deep est sympathy. The remains were interred in the Deniliquin Presbyterian cemetery.

Mr. A. L. Blythe the hon. adjudicator of the Amelioration Committee, gave evidence regarding rejected men on active service. He estimated that it cost £22,000,000 for the sending to the front of men who were unsuitable and had to be returned. Included among the men sent back was one of 73 years of age.

The Minister of Health yesterday referred to the tremendous wastage going on in human life today. He hoped shortly to disclose a plan for the preservation of baby life.

A combined military ball and returned soldiers' reunion held at the Masonic Hall, Naranedra, on Tuesday night, was a brilliant success, there being fully 300 ladies and gentlemen present, including a large number of returned soldiers, their wives, mothers and sisters.

At its last meeting the Deniliquin P.P. Board considered correspondence from the Chief Inspector of Stock relative to the salaries of stock and rabbit inspectors, in which it was stated that that the conference of the Institute of Stock Inspectors and Pasures Protection Board Officials had decided that a minimum salary of £350 per annum should be fixed for stock inspectors, that travelling expenses should be allowed up to 12s 6d per day, and that a maximum of £100 should be made for equipment; also that a rabbit inspector's minimum salary should be £300 a year, with a forage allowance. It was decided to reply that the Deniliquin Board paid its employees good salaries, and considering the present war conditions did not feel justified in expending more than was required.

At a meeting of the Bathurst branch of the Returned Soldiers' Association Mr. Nicholls, Labor M.H.R., was nominated for the position of patron. Objection was taken to the nomination on the ground that Mr. Nicholls had refused to address recruiting meetings, and had stated in public he would not do so, and would not enlist. His nomination was rejected by a large majority.

Premier Holman, who completed the fifth year of his reign in that office on the 30th ult., first entered Parliament in 1898 for Grenfell, and has since sat for that electorate or Cootamundra. He is now within sight of Mr. (now Sir) G. H. Reid's record tenure of office as Premier of New South Wales, viz., five years and one and a half months. Sir John Forrest easily holds the Australian record in this direction, having led the West Australian Government for ten years and 17 days, when he retired to take up a Ministerial office in the Commonwealth. Mr. C. C. Kingston, of South Australia, and Mr. Herbert, of Queensland, both held the position of Premier uninterruptedly for over six years.

On the Cootharaba road (says a Queensland paper) stands an empty timber getter's hut and a rusty derelict waggon. The gear is piled alongside the wall, and is rusty but otherwise complete. On the wall in crude letters of white runs the legend: "You all take this notice I have gone to fight the Germans, and I don't know when I'm coming back; somebody chip round my humpy against grass fires. All my bullocks is sold, except Sambo, him with the cock-horn. Anyone finding him can sell him to the — butcher, and mind the money till I come back." Sambo was found and sold for £11 6s, and the money banked against the return." The humpy is regularly chipped round, and the gear is complete, as the brave fighting bullock driver left. God speed him, and give him a safe return.

An Australian Comforts Fund carnival was held in Melbourne on Saturday, when about £30,000 was realised.


Site contents and design Copyright 2006-19©