Flock and Herd logo


View original article here

Northern Star, Saturday 31 December 1932, page 7


Note the swellings under the jaw and around the brisket. It was found necessary to kill the cow. Four days previously Mr. Woollett, stock inspector, Lismore, gave it as his opinion to the owner, Mr. Howard, Burns Point, Ballina, that the cause of the cow's condition was a piece of wire sticking into the heart. A post mortem examination confirmed the diagnosis. Wire, inches long, had worked its way through the second stomach and punctured the heart. The sac around the heart, instead of being about as thick as a piece of paper, was a quarter of an inch thick. Apparently the cow picked up the wire whilst grazing.

Exact reproduction of the piece of wire which caused the trouble.


Site contents and design Copyright 2006-19©